Check Out My Other Blog

All Made Up by McKenzie

Permanent Cosmetics for the Girl on the Go


Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 23, 2009

Last week...(beware: this is long!)

So I have had a cough for the last two weeks and it will not go away! It is pretty frustrating to be tramping through a dark and muddy cave and having to cough. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctors because I'm sick of being sick. It doesn't really hurt, it's just super annoying! I haven't been posting because I've been so busy, but I'm going to give you a quick rundown of my last week.

Tuesday 3/17: Happy St. Patrick's Day! Jalayne, Alicia and I went to an Irish Pub for dinner and a drink (non-alcoholic of course). Then we walked around town, had the best brownie I've ever eaten at another bar and then headed home. It was a faboulous night!

Wednesday 3/18: Went to camp with the senior classes (year 5/6 students). It was so fun to see them all at camp. This age group actually goes away to camp for 4 days to learn outside the classroom. It is an amazing experience for them, especially because most of these kids will never have another experience like it--it's too expensive for their families. During my day there, we started off on a quick bus ride and a tramp up a hill. Then we went absailing a.k.a. rapelling. I was one of the last to go--I wanted the kids to have a turn first, but I was so scared! It ended up being fabulous and I'd love to go again. Then we went rock climbing. Another fun and adventurous things for the kids and teachers. Finally we went caving. You wouldn't think this would be too hard core becuase of the kids, but it was insane! The adults got in a pair of coveralls and we all had helmets with lights on them. I felt like I was in a movie about mining. We jumped into a hold and started crawling through the cave. Literally CRAWLING! We ended up having to squeeze between crevices, pull ourselves up rock faces and we even swam through mud. By the time I got out, I was covered in mud up to my chest and was wet all the way through. However, it was the best experience. I was cold and tired, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. Then I came home, showered and made enchiladas for Darnie and Nga--they'd never had them before! They turned out great and they loved it.

Thursday 3/19- Regular teaching day other than the kids counting all the bruises on my legs from caving. Then I went with Jalayne and Brooke to an enrichment night. It was great fun! It's fabulous to know that the church is true wherever you go. :)

Friday 3/20- Jalayne, McKell, Candace, Alicia and I went to the Stake Country Ball and then to a YSA dance. It was a little flashback to age 14, but it was fun all the same. The YSA dance was pink themed and I had to dress up for that and the country ball, so I look a little crazy, but that's half the fun. :)

Saturday 3/21- I joined the girls at the bush station and we headed to Waitomo caves. We wanted to go black water rafting and we found a place that would take us for only $99 a piece! We signed up and headed out. First we got decked out in a thick wet-suit, helmet with a light and gum boots and then we loaded up in a van. They took us to the entrance of the cave where we grabbed a tube and we headed down 106 stairs and down a bunch of rocks in the cave. We ended up sitting in the tube with our legs on the person in front of us tube and holding on to the legs of the person behind us as we trailed down the river. We turned our lights out and got to see GLOW WORMS! They dotted the ceiling of the cave like stars. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. At one point, we had to turn around and fall off a small waterfall! I did a BACKFLIP! Not on purpose of course, but the guide said I was the first to ever do that. The next waterfall had a slide, and that was easier and more fun. After trudging up the 106 stairs and getting showered and re-dressed, we went to a different cave for a more low-key tour of a glow worm cave.

After getting back to Hamilton, I got ready and Darnie and I headed to the Chiefs Game. They are the rugby team for Hamilton. They played the Auckland Blues and kicked their trash! I love rugby. On the way out of the parking lot, I got hit on! This guy asked for my number and I froze. So I didn't give it to him, but it sure was a boost of confidence. He was super hot and I felt special. :) Next time, no freezing and I'm getting a hot date!

Those were the highlights of last week and not anything crazy has happened this week. I'm planning on going to the beach Saturday, and then Saturday night is the night-glow where a bunch of hot air balloons light up in the sky! I can't wait!

4 comments:

Heidi & Derek said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! I am seriously SOOO jealous!

Wade said...

You are having the time of your life!!! Keep having fun love the update!!!

Ryan and Michele said...

Wow! It sounds like you're having a blast over there! From what I can see in the pics you have up it looks beautiful!!

Blake said...

I can't wait to see the pics! Oh bring home some candy! I need it!