Check Out My Other Blog

All Made Up by McKenzie

Permanent Cosmetics for the Girl on the Go


Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More differences about New Zealand and Utah.

Te ne koto tamariki ma! (Rough translation:hello to you all)

1- There are so many bugs in NZ. Last night, I killed 3 spiders and 2 moths. Ugh.
2- They call corner stores 'dairies.' Odd, huh?
3- Erasers are called rubbers. When a student asks for a rubber, I cringe a little.
4- Math is pronounces more like mass and they write it as maths. Very different.
5- All the Maori boys have rat-tails. Not cool in the states. Other boys have mowhaks or mullets.
6- The H-word and the D-word are not swear words and I have honestly heard them uttered in church.
7- medicines don't usually have flavors. I ahve a cough right now, and the cough medicine is absolutely disgusting.
8-Mexican food isn't popular--SAD!
9- All candy is called lollies, unless it's chocolate, then it's called chocolate.
10- I love morning tea. We get 20 minutes in the morning for drinks and snacks. And then we get an hour for lunch! So much time compared to the states.


So just a few updates about what I have been up to. I'm teaching a lot more and I love it! I'm working really hard with the solar system unit, and I did a writing lesson today. I drove to church on Sunday and to the supermarket last night--I'm getting good at driving on the left side of the road! There is a ball for the stake on the 20th, and Darnie si trying to find someone to take me-- hopefully a cute Maori boy--it's true, I'm starting to think they're cute. Bring on the brown boys! I'm going to Rotorua for a Maori celebration and for shopping this Saturday. I'm trying lots of new foods and loving all of it. I'm making some "American dishes" next week for my family.

1 comments:

Wade said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun!!! I'm not sure about the whole hair do thing over there but the rest is sounding great. I am sending you an e-mail I miss you tons!!!